For as long as I can remember I have had bronchitis every year, it never fails! As I got older the coughing always got worse to the point I was up all night and coughing up blood from where I scratched my throat. My dad had a remedy that worked better than normal medication. First let me start by saying I lived in (and still do) South Alabama, where old home remedies are a go to from rubbing whiskey on a teething baby’s gums to cutting a potato in half and taping it over an arisen to make it go away.
My dad’s go to was an old Irish Hot Toddy… Minus the water and adding a goody powder…. And boy did it work! So let’s start with the Irish Recipe.
Irish Hot Toddy (Original)
– Originally the hot toddy was something that you drank on a cold or rainy day before bed.
- ¾ cup water
- 1 ½ ounces whiskey
- 2 to 3 teaspoons honey, to taste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice, to taste
- 1 lemon round
- 1 cinnamon stick (otional, for garnish)
- In a teapot or saucepan, bring the water to a simmer. Pour the hot water into a mug.
- Add the whiskey, 2 teaspoons honey and 2 teaspoon lemon juice. Stir until the honey has disappeared into the hot water. Taste, and add 1 teaspoon honey for more sweetness, and/or 1 teaspoon more lemon juice for more zing.
- Garnish with a lemon round and cinnamon stick (if using). Enjoy!
Daddy’s Hot Toddy
– So here we go. Do Not take with other medicine, you know common sense right. With this you only want to make enough for one single shot.
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice,
- 1 goody powder
- Combine all ingredients into a sauce pan and heat until honey and Goody powder has dissolved, let cool until warm
- Then say “Over the head and through the gums look out stomach here it comes” and drink